Tuesday, August 11, 2009

NYC or Beulah

I returned yesterday from a two week vacation in a remote place in Northern Michigan. It is hard to believe that I have lived in New York City for a year now. As our family made the trip back “home”, I anticipated that there would be some culture shock. Other than a stint in Southern California for seminary when I was in my early 20’s, I have lived my entire life in Michigan prior to this move to NYC. That meant that last year, no matter how many trips to the city I made in advance, no matter how much I read about, studied, and tried to anticipate our new life in an urban and diverse setting, I was in for some major culture shock- and I was not disappointed. The people, the noise, the constant activity and busyness- it was life on steroids. Much of the time I loved it- I have always thrived on some degree of chaos. There were also times that first year when I thought I would lose my sanity- what was left of it, if I couldn’t get out of the city.

All these thoughts filled my mind as we drove to the major metropolis of Beulah, Michigan- population 450. This would be the 49th year of our family reunion on Crystal Lake, the first without my dad who passed away this Spring. All 27 of us spent a riotous week in and around the beautiful blue water of Crystal Lake. When my mind would drift to thoughts of my new life at 377 East 33rd Street, it seemed like a dream. I loved the sound of wind in the trees, the waves breaking on shore, the wide open spaces, the glorious stars at night as we sat around the campfire. New York City seemed like not another city in the same country, but more like alien life on a distant planet.

The two weeks went by quickly and in a blink I was on I-80 heading back to my new life in NYC. I discovered in those two weeks how much I liked and missed my old life. A certain melancholy and sadness settled over us as we continued east, leaving family and lakes and boats and grass and stars behind. I knew I was facing culture shock again.

I woke up in New York on Sunday morning and headed out to grab some milk and other post vacation essentials. I no longer grabbed for my keys to drive to the market as I had the past two weeks- it was a walk on 32nd Street to Third Avenue- a bit different than a stroll down Main Street in Beulah. But one similarity this morning was the quiet. Where were the people? The noise? It’s 9:00 AM and the streets were relatively quiet. Then I recalled that it was Sunday. New Yorkers observe their day of rest. God may not be a part of it, but is the one day when the streets of Manhattan, other than the tourist areas, have a relative quiet and peacefulness.

On my return, a friend asked me an interesting question. What percentage of me wanted to remain in Michigan and not return to NYC? There was not an easy answer to that question. In some respects, 100% of me would take Beulah over New York. But I am in New York in response to God’s call. Would I have liked a call to start a church in Beulah? Probably. And with a population of 450, if we could reach 10% of the population, the church would be 45 people. If we could reach 10% of the population of NYC, it would be 850,000. Or if we were content with just reaching 10% of Manhattan, that would be 180,000. That’s not going to happen. That is why God is raising up many people to start churches in NYC. And the quiet streets on a Sunday morning reminded me of the need, as did the jammed subway car later in the day. There is a church planting movement in this area with a goal of starting 50 new churches a year- that’s nearly one a week. The task of Jesus vision for this city is enormous to say the least.

So, I am reminded that Beulah, Michigan, which is just as important to God as any place on earth, probably has all the churches it needs to reach its 450 people. The same is not true of NYC. That’s why he tapped me on the shoulder for New York and not Beulah.

As I adjust again to the noise, the congestion, the 100+ degree temperatures I faced this morning waiting on a subway platform (with vivid images of sailing on Crystal Lake fresh in my mind!!) I know why I am here, and I am glad I am here.

By the way, don’t be surprised if God calls you to come to New York, the greatest city in the world, to join in the work Jesus is doing- to start a new church, or help us with Communitas. We could use the help!

2 comments:

The Mermaid Cottage said...

I'm glad to hear that the Mayes had a great time at Crystal Lake...the great memories will carry you through on the tough days in NYC. Doug and I probably were within a mile or two of you all as Mike and his family came over Friday night (we live a little south of Ludington off of 31) and then Saturday we headed north to Mackinac Island for our own little reunion. I always think of you all as we head through Beulah and pass the "Cherry Hut" restaurant. I can imagine leaving such a wonderful place brought a bit of the "blues" on to you all. It must have been strange not to have your dad there. Those "first times" after a parent passes are always a little odd, aren't they? Hope your weather cools off in the big apple...guess we're supposed to heat up in west Michigan. That will be odd as it has been a very cool summer. Sweatshirts came in handy up north...and I think I've had my fill of fresh sweet cherries ha-ha!

Sheila

Kathy said...

We love Crystal! Used to vacation there with friends around the CSA (I think those are the initials) camp area. We rented in Three Pines. Wonderful memories!
Beulah is so charming and I love the name.

We are on Walloon now and our kids are living in NYC, okay so Steph and Brad actually live in Jersey City (thanks for all the help in the move!). I really appreciate your dilema. In the fall I have a hard time adjusting to being downstate, traffic (!), noise -although how noisey can the Birmingham/Bloomfield area be? But still.

Hope that you are able to get to Central Park and/or Riverside often to remind yourself of God's creation. Being by water is always calming.

As many times as I go to the city I am still the country bumpkin that you bump into as I gaze up at the tall buildings. Wondering why on earth everyone is in such a hurry...

Glad that you all got to the cottage together and enjoyed each other and made more memories. They are the strength that helps us carry on. That and, of course, knowing that you are doing the will of God!