Thursday, September 24, 2009

Celebrating East


This morning I put the same effort I usually put into selecting my clothes for the day- I reached into my dresser drawer and pulled out the shirt on the top (I am sure I have shirts on the bottom of the drawer that have not seen the light of day for months- or years).

A bit later I was standing in front of our building waiting for a friend, and I caught my reflection in the window. It was then that I realized that the shirt selection was the right one for this day, because today was an important anniversary. 09.24.06. Three years ago we launched what we simply called "East" at the time- Kensington Community Church's campus in Clinton Twp.

It seems like it was a lot longer than three years ago. But the memories are still vivid. The year leading up to the launch was filled with home meetings, team building, looking for a location for the church, and celebrating the certainty that we were following God, and that he was up to something big. During that year I made many new friends.

September 24, 2006- we were filled with anticipation, uncertainty, and when it was over, joy. We knew that God had started something that would have impact, and he had used a bunch of ordinary east-siders. At the time, God had already started nudging Chris and me toward NYC. I really resisted those leadings initially. A big part of me did not want to believe it was true because I could see myself a part of this new community on the east side for the rest of my life. We were just getting started! In the end, leaving East became the most difficult thing about going to start a church in NYC.

Tonight, I spent the evening with Timm and Char Kelly in Brooklyn. They were at that first service at East. Char had worked with Treasure Island and Timm in production. They were key players for the East campus. Now they are key players with us in New York.

I felt pretty melancholy today as I walked the streets of my new city. I still miss terribly the many friends we made as we worked together to launch a new congregation. Clinton Twp. seems a million miles and a lifetime away.

If any East Campus friends are reading this blog, I would love to hear from you- just leave a comment. And I am thrilled that in a couple of months I have the chance to be back with you to teach on Sunday, Nov 29. And by the way, we have plenty of room for many more to come and help us!

6 comments:

T$ said...

It does seem like longer than three years! The journey to the "East" was something I knew God called the Kelly's to do. Little did I know at the time that we would follow Jesus all the way East to the Atlantic Coast. It was an honor to follow Him with you in Clinton Twp., and it is an honor to follow Him with you in NYC.

Jeff said...

Craig, I really like your message style and delivery. They were logical in nature, which appealed to the engineer in me. I was glad when you were announced as the lead pastor for East (I still call it East). I was bummed when all the NY talk came out but in the end I'm glad you listened and followed God.

However, if you hadn't moved to NY, we never would have had the chance to find out that Chris Z is really good with his messages and leadership. Secondary benefits of Obeying God allow gifts of other's to shine.

atti2dchic said...

*waves* I'm an "East"er. :) While I've only been attending Kensington for 2 years this month, God has used the messages (sometimes yours even when you were still here) to really encourage me in my faith. I know He brought me here in the right time and it is a great place to worship, fellowship and do life.

For the first time in 2 years I've signed up to be in a small group and I'm excited to see what He is going to do next.

I too was sad to see you go even though I don't know you very well. But I am still blessed by your blogs. :)

May God continue to remind you of the wisdom in following His lead. May He always give you eyes to see the impact that you (and all of us) can have on the world around us as we are obedient to His voice.

Superstar said...

Wow, I was also surprised to think that was only three years ago! What a ride. Glad to be on the ride with you! Jesus is more fun than cedar point, and you know the Kelly's love "america's roller coast...ride on"

A Contrarian's Way said...

Craig,
I don't know if you read John Piper's blog at Desiring God: http://www.desiringgod.org/blog
The post on October 1st is one I think you will find intriguing as it is something you have often been wrestling with in your blog. Check it out...
Julie Zilkie

sarge472 said...

Hey Craig, how sad that I was so wrapped up in my move to Orlando for this campus, that I missed this in your blog. It was a great ride we were on to launch that campus and a much bigger one we are on for Communitas and Kensington Orlando.
Think about you guys all the time and miss you all the more.
Wish I could be there on the 29th to be part of the celebration with you.
Mark