Friday, April 17, 2009

On a Greyhound Bus

Since moving to NYC last summer, I have had many “first-time” experiences- like riding in a taxi cab, seeing a airliner floating down the Hudson River, and going to the second floor of the County Court house a few weeks ago to file some papers, stumbling onto the set of “Law and Order” as it was being filmed (don’t look for me in an upcoming episode). Now to these illustrious first time events I can add, “taking a long trip on a Greyhound bus”. I don’t recommend it.

I have concluded that the people who work for Greyhound do not like their jobs, and particularly do not like people. I think it may be a requirement to be hired. And the people who take long bus trips- well, since I am now in that company, I better not share my observations. So why the long bus trip?

As I shared in an earlier blog, living away from family creates a certain strain that I have not experienced until this point in my life. One has to be particular about when to return “home”, and how. On Sunday evening, April 5, right after our Communitas gathering, I began to receive a series of texts from family members saying that my dad’s health seemed to be failing quickly. Words like “two or three days to live” came along with “or he could live for months or years.” Over the next 24 hours I continued to get varied updates. I had just been in Michigan less than two weeks ago to help my mom get my dad into a long-term care facility. He was very confused mentally, but his body seemed strong. How did this happen so quickly? Should I jump on a plane (or a bus) and head back to Michigan again…so soon? The rational part of me said that this could be the case for the next several years. Can I rush home every time there is a medical crisis with my dad?

This was my mental dilemma throughout the day on Monday, April 6. I tried to work, but found myself checking airfares throughout the day, hoping they would magically fall dramatically in price. I still didn’t know if I should go, or how I would even know if I should go.

Later that evening, I got another call with more detail. He had pneumonia, had suffered a mild heart attack, and was in full renal failure. My sister was driving from St. Paul. One brother was driving down from Elk Rapids. They were going to bring him home on Tuesday for hospice care. He was not expected to live long.

There was a bus leaving NYC on Tuesday evening at 10:15 PM. It was a 14 hour trip, and would get me in around noon on Wednesday. And the price was right- $48 instead of $848 to fly. I still felt uncertain about leaving New York again, but finally, with the nudging of Chris, decided it was the right thing to do. So Tuesday evening, with my 16 year old son, Caleb, I left Manhattan on our first (and last?) Greyhound trip back to Michigan to see my dad before he died.

The bus was very uncomfortable. I think I finally fell asleep around 2:45 AM. I was awakened by my phone vibrating in my pocket. I glanced at my watch and saw it was nearly 3:30 AM. I knew it could not be good news. Before answering, I looked at the caller ID. It was my mom. “Hi mom, what’s going on”? (I knew). Her first words: “God was merciful. You father went to be with him about an hour ago.” It was a brief conversation that I will always remember- marking the end of my dad’s life here on earth- April 8, 2009. Caleb and I talked for awhile as the dark bus rolled through the hills of Pennsylvania in an April snowstorm that eventually brought the bus to a complete stop. All my 5 siblings had made it home in time. I was the only one not there. I admit to feeling angry- at myself for delaying the decision to leave, and perhaps at God for not helping out a bit and letting me get there on time.

But God was merciful. My last conversation with my dad had occurred just 12 days earlier. I was trying to get him to dinner in the nursing home cafeteria. He wouldn’t come. I told him that I was his son and that I would take him. He hit me and said “you are not my son.” He was suffering and all of us were suffering watching him gradually withdraw into a reality where we could not go. Since that day, I had been asking God to take him home. I never imagined it would come so quickly.

The funeral was on April 11- the day before Easter. The words of Paul had special meaning that weekend:

When the perishable has been clothed with the imperishable, and the mortal with immortality, then the saying that is written will come true: “Death has been swallowed up in victory.” “Where, O death, is your victory. Where, O death, is your sting?”

As we grieve the death of my father, and feel the sting of death, we also celebrate his life here on earth and the life that has now just begun and will never end- a life without tears or pain or sorrow, and without death. Jesus overcame all of these- for my dad, who received these by his grace. As Paul wrote elsewhere, we grieve, but not as those who have no hope. Our hope (certainty) is Jesus.

My dad has left behind a great family- pictured below on the day of his funeral. Never has Jesus meant so much, nor my family meant so much to me.




He is Risen. So is my dad!

7 comments:

Rachel said...

Hi Craig,

I'm a former member of Kensignton (we moved away, what else could tear me away?) and while we never met, I do feel like I know you. I've enjoyed keeping up with your blog.

I'm so sorry for your loss and will hold your family in prayer. What a blessing to know you will see him again.

Many blessings,

T$ said...

I am honored to see the legacy that you will leave on this earth in the name of Mayes.

Anonymous said...

You've so beautifully expressed your feelings Craig, as you always do. You know I'm with you in heart, prayers and spirit. Love and miss all you guys so much. See you in June ..

Pam Talluto

atti2dchic said...

I'm sorry for yours and your families loss but rejoice with you in trusting that God, Who is the Giver of everlasting life has kept His promise to your beautiful father. May God comfort all of your hearts and minds while you grieve and may you be encouraged in your hope.

Angela Baylis said...

Hey, Craig (& family),
I am SO sorry to hear about the loss of your father! I hadn't heard the news. I'll keep you all in my prayers during this difficult time!
Love,
Angie Baylis (from Kensington)

kathy said...

Just look at that wonderful family picture and I see the legacy your father left on earth. For those taking a "later flight" there's the unavoidable grieving work that must be done. I am praying for the comfort of the Holy Spirit for all of you.
Thanks for being so honest and open with your journey. It's an honor to read your post.

Kathy said...

I am so very sorry for your loss, Craig. Thank you for posting the picture. You have a beautiful family. I can only imagine how proud your dad must be.

I am sorry that you were on a bus but I do believe your dad knows you were on your way home.

I will keep you and your family in my prayers as you grieve. I know you are celebrating the fact that he truly was Home and celebrating Ester with the Risen Lord!

I am a new reader of your blog and have not commented before.
After reading an earlier post, I wanted to share a book with you that really helped me understand prayer on a deeper level and why Jesus told us to say, "Thy will be done one earth as it is in heaven"...

Dr. Myles Munroe
wrote "Understanding the Purpose and Power of Prayer...Earthly License for Heavenly Interference". Hope you can read it if you have not all ready.