Monday, April 27, 2009

Saturday in the Park

A new condo high rise is going up a block from my apartment on the corner of 33rd and 2nd Ave. A big banner stretches across the building announcing that it is “Murray Hill’s First Green Condo”. I am not sure what makes a condo “green”, but I know what the phrase is intended to communicate. The builders care about the environment.

Being “green” is important these days. This past Wednesday was Earth Day. Since 1970 it has served as a day to focus on the well-being of this planet we inhabit. Across the country and around the globe people have awakened to the importance of taking care of planet Earth. But caring for the environment is not a new idea. In the creation account in Genesis, after each day of work, God comments on his own handiwork with these words: “and it was good”. And his first words to the human race had to do with caring for what he had created. I believe God thinks that “going green”, while not really a new idea, is a good idea nevertheless.

I have to confess that most of my life I cared little for matters of the environment. It’s not that I was pro-pollution. I simply didn’t think that in the long run what we did with planet Earth mattered much since my theology- my interpretation of the Bible- indicated that eventually God was going to destroy all that he had created and start all over again. Saving planet earth was like trying to save a sinking ship that had no chance of staying afloat.

I don’t think that way any more. I see the future differently…a future where God takes what he once made as very good and restores it to its original beauty. In the meantime, the original mandate stands- to be caretakers of God’s “green” earth.

With that in mind, Communitas joined 4985 other volunteers this past Saturday who spread across New York City’s 5 boroughs to clean up parks. Our group of 15 was assigned to Cunningham Park in Queens. Armed with rakes, shovels and plastic bags we did not change the world. But we did enjoy being outside on a very warm spring day. We enjoyed being together, working (and goofing off some), and in the end, after 109 trash bags full, changing one small part of God’s creation just a little bit.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I understand your green thoughts, although I am not sure where I am in that at the moment. I completely share the idea that my theology is just that; theology. I believe that a straight theology provides a good foundation, but foundations don't walk around town sharing the gospel, helping the widows/widowers with things around their homes which they cannot do anymore. Neither does a foundation tutor a kid (orphan so to speak), or go to a court appearance with them, or help them find a job. Neither does a foundation feed the poor, clothe the exposed or drive a middle-aged man to a job interview. I like your header and the relationship with church planting and following Jesus. I have been pastoring a church plant back here in Belleville MI. and Christ has made it plain to us that our Bible study and theology has to be able to walk out the door into our community and follow Christ on the path to the cross. I haven't seen you in over 20 years, and all of sudden God uses you to encourage me in His work. God bless you, your family, the flock and Manhatten, Jim Dinnan. http://thecallofzaccheus.blogspot.com/

The Mermaid Cottage said...

Hi Craig! I stumbled onto your blog quite by accident and was so happy to do so. I had been home to visit my brother and his family (at his house on good old Sunburst Drive) and we got to talking about growing up in our neighborhood and all the kids that played together in the sixties. While Doug and I were driving back home (west Michigan, just south of Ludington) I got thinking about your family and wrote a letter to your mom. She was such a lifeline to my mom during her battle with MS. She wrote me back and updated me on what you were all doing. I told her a story of being in a gift shop and striking up a conversation with a sales rep that happened to be on a call to the store. The lady mentioned she had grown up in Lake Orion. I said that our neighbors had moved there many years ago but that she probably wouldn't know them. She asked the family name...I said "Mayes" and she said "Ray and Nancy?" She said her brother was a friend of Jimmy's and she knew who Sandy and Laurie were but not the "older kids". What a small world.

Your mom mentioned in her letter that your dad was dealing with Alzheimer's and now I read on your blog that he has passed on. I was moved by your poignant description of the bus ride back to Michigan with your son. I also was glad to see your family picture taken the day of the funeral...could pick out Curt, Gerry and you but not the girls.

I will continue to follow your blog...it gives me some "thinking" material for quiet moments. I'll leave you by saying that I too have a memory of your dad that always comes to mind when I think of him: Ray, a warm summer day, a bucket of water, a sponge, and a very clean Mustang!!!!

God bless the Mayes, your old next door neighbor, Sheila

Jen said...

My mom just called and said, "I was on Craig's blog and I saw a picture of your backside and I just knew it was you!" Haha, I suppose your mom knows you better than anyone. I barely even recognized me without blowing up the picture!