Friday, June 12, 2009

Little Things with Great Love

My dozen trips to India over the last nine years have at times raised doubts about what I believe. It’s a bit strange I suppose to go as a missionary and find oneself struggling with doubts about God.

Somewhere between 1.2 and 1.3 people, about 1 out of 6 people now alive on planet Earth, live in India. To put that in perspective, the “.3” of the 1.3 represents the entire population of the US. And most of those people have no knowledge of Jesus- about 97% of the population. They are poor and suffer from all that accompanies poverty. I would ride the train across the country going from village to village and city to city, seeing the masses of people, and because of what I believe, I would regard them as lost and without hope. They live a miserable life on this earth, and then enter into eternity separated from God. How could this be true? How could God allow this?

It’s not that I did not have theological answers to those questions, but when one’s mind is filled with thousands of images of faces of Indian people, those answers bring no comfort or help. The Bible teaches that all human beings are of unsurpassable worth to God. Jesus showed us God’s heart for humanity when he spoke of the lost coin, lost sheep and lost son. He would leave the 99 “found” to go after the 1 “lost”. In India, the numbers are nearly reversed- 97 lost for every 3 found. I could barely stand the pain of such thoughts as I lived and moved among the people of India. How could God stand it? And whatever efforts I made seemed so feeble. Then I would think of Indonesia, China, parts of Africa, Central America, South America- all of what constitutes the “Third World”, and honestly have felt even more hopeless.

Now I live in one of the most densely populated cities in the world. NYC is certainly not third world, but my life here has so many similarities to what I experience when I go to India. I am constantly surrounded by people who have no relationship with Jesus. In fact, in Manhattan, the percentage of people who have put their faith in Jesus is about the same as in India. So I am a minority who, in order to be true to the teaching of the Bible, has to believe that nearly all of my fellow citizens are lost. And what difference can I really make?

Helpless is how I feel when my thoughts turn in this direction, whether in India or in New York City. Yesterday I spend four hours traversing back and forth across Manhattan putting together a walking tour for a mission team coming from Michigan in a week (if you are on that team, bring your best walking shoes!). That brought me to areas of the city particularly populated : Union Square, the Brooklyn Bridge, Battery Park, Wall Street, Columbus Circle, Central Park, Rockefeller Center, etc. I felt like I was in India and as I observed so many people and perhaps felt a bit of what Jesus felt when Matthew observed of him::
When he saw the crowds, he had compassion on them, because they were harassed and helpless, like sheep without a shepherd.

I felt compassion, but also a bit of depression again. The task seems impossible. What will it take to reach and help so many people- people who by and large don’t believe they need help and don’t want to be helped?

Mother Theresa is known worldwide for her work of compassion in Calcutta. What she did over the decades among the poor, sick and dying is remarkable and honorable. But honestly, with a population of 13 million, how many people did she really help? She didn’t even make a dent in the need. But she was not bothered by that fact. She once said that we should not attempt to do great things for God, but rather little things with great love.

So I am reminded- I am not here to change the city. I am not here to do great things for God. I am here to love in Jesus’ name. And that will likely look like little things, hardy noticed, never making the 6:00 news, but done wit great love. That’s all God asks, and that has to be enough. And there are opportunities many times every day to do that.

4 comments:

The Mermaid Cottage said...

Your task must feel overwhelming sometimes. I guess helping just one person to find his/her way sure beats helping no person to find his/her way. Maybe that one person you help could end up helping 100 people find their way:)

God bless your deep-thinking brain and your loving heart!

Sheila

Brad said...

Craig, just curious how I could find a quiet place to setup a studio in NYC?

kathy said...

Dear Craig,
I love your blog so much because I relate to the things you share. Thanks for your honesty.
There is a campaign being organized right now for the city of Sacramento and Elk Grove. Over 73 pastors in Sac. and 13 in Elk Grove are joining efforts to find a way to serve and bless our cities. It will be a combination of service projects that small groups will do and larger projects that multiple groups will focus on, all in the name of Jesus and His love for the people. I attended the monthly prayer meeting last night and felt great joy as I think that nothing is impossible when you get Christians united for the one goal of sharing the love and compassion of Jesus. I believe the prayer time alone is powerful and effective in tearing down strongholds in the heavenly realm. The scripture that describes the result that I am praying for is from Isaiah 65:1. I also believe 2Chron. 7:14. The Elk Grove group plans on a Fall campaign and the Sacramento group plans for next May. There is hope for "the masses" as we join together and pray and then reach out and serve (as your group has done so beautifully). I will pray that you will be encouraged as you follow what God has called you to do. Kathy Parker

Maureen said...

Hi Craig, I encourage you to check the blogs from the church I attend. Each one is a feast. But I'm thinking one in particular that I think will speak to your spirit. http://mdcccrosstalk.blogspot.com/2009/06/shouting-from-rooftops.html
Blessings to you Craig.
On another note: I have to say that while I rejoice in Maria's arrival in New York, there is a part of me that is grieving.