Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Crazy or Demonic

In NYC it is common during the course of a 15 minute walk to pass a couple of homeless people. Sometimes they sit or stand and quietly ask for help, verbally, or by means of a sign. Sometimes, usually on the subway, they give a speech explaining their circumstances and ask for help as they walk up and down the train with their paper cup outstretched to receive donations. Sometimes, they talk nonsense and act threatening.

It is estimated that more than 50% of the homeless in NYC are suffering with some form of mental illness. In my first year in the city, I know I have encountered many of them. Having worked in the field of psychology earlier in my life, I recognize the signs of schizophrenia and paranoia pretty quickly, although usually it is pretty evident to any passerby. I have also wondered for years how to know when there is something demonic taking place in the individual. The 4 Gospels took it for granted that demonic activity was common. Jesus encountered and dealt with it regularly.

Last night our small group was discussing Like 6 and came across these words:

He (Jesus) went down with them and stood on a level place. A large crowd of his disciples was there and a great number of people from all over Judea, from Jerusalem, and from the coast of Tyre and Sidon, who had come to hear him and to be healed of their diseases. Those troubled by evil spirits were cured, (17-18).


Those troubled by evil spirits were cured. There seems to be nothing astonishing about this statement. It is assumed that demonic activity would be encountered. Is that our assumption in this culture today- even among Christians? I would say generally not. In fact, talking about demons likely raises some eyebrows, even in our churches. Should we assume that since Jesus’ time, demonic influence has abated?

While I believe that mental illness does exist that is not related to demonic activity, it seems likely that deranged thinking may at times be evidence not of mental illness, but of demonic activity. Even physical illness can be the result of demonic activity:

On a Sabbath Jesus was teaching in one of the synagogues, and a woman was there who had been crippled by a spirit for eighteen years. She was bent over and could not straighten up at all. Luke 13:10-11

Clearly, both physical and mental illness may have a demonic basis. But how do we discern when this is the case?

This past week I have had three encounters with homeless people who clearly had a mental illness or demonic presence, or both. The first occurred Sunday evening. Amanda, one of Communitas’ members, invited a homeless man she met on the bus to join us for our Sunday evening gathering. He came, and sat through the service quietly. He then joined us for our post-service meal at a local diner. It began well with him ordering a meal, but things began to deteriorate. After a few bites into his hamburger, he began to tear it apart and mumble about it being poisoned with cyanide. He pushed the food away. Then he began to speak against the government, becoming increasingly agitated and raising his voice. Our attempts to reason with him had no effect except to make him angrier. His diatribe then turned against some of the men in our group sitting some distance away form the man. He began to accuse them of things and his statements were laced with foul language. Now everyone within earshot began to squirm. We were extending love and care to man who seemed now bent on anger, and perhaps violence.

When we left the diner, the man stood across the street shouting obscenities at us. As we walked away, he hurried across the street, catching up with us and speaking lewd and threatening comments. At this point, I steered him away from the group and walked in a different direction, trying again without success to get him to calm down and to explain why he was angry at people who had shown him kindness. As we walked west on 34th Street, he continued to rail against us and the world in general, and at one point told me that he might be an old man, but he could take me down easily. At this point, I decided another strategy was warranted. I asked him what he thought about Jesus. His demeanor changed instantly. As we walked he spoke about him being the only true man, the only one worth trusting, one who had complete integrity. No obscenities, no raised voice, no incoherent thoughts. And most importantly in that moment, no talk of taking me down!!!

After a block, I left him with words that Communitas is simply a group of imperfect people who agree with his assessment of Jesus, and are trying to follow him. The obscenities returned as I walked away. I have no idea what this experience meant. Why did the mention of Jesus’ name calm him down? Most accounts of Jesus encountering demons resulted in increased agitation. All I know is that his name bought a block worth of peace to a trouble man.

Since that evening I have had encounters with two homeless people, both women this time, who were shouting nonsense and obscenities, and threatening people as they walked by. In both cases I came near to see if I could engage with them and perhaps try the “Jesus experiment” to see if it would calm them as well. No chance. As soon as they saw me looking at them and making eye contact, the volume and intensity increased dramatically. In fact, both screamed at me and said something to the effect that I was the true source of their trouble. I have to say that in these cases, it felt to me as though these women were, as Luke wrote, troubled by demonic spirits.

I find that a part of me wants to ignore this issue in the city- the visibly disturbed homeless. It seems hopeless, and I don’t really know how to discern what is needed and how to respond. And yet, if Jesus was living here and walking the streets and riding the subways I do everyday, I don’t think ignoring would be his strategy. I realize again how much I have to learn, and how utterly dependent I am on the wisdom that God has promised to me when I ask. Believe me, I am asking!

5 comments:

Maureen said...

Keep going to those difficult places many Christians won't discuss Craig! And as you ask, God will answer with revelation and opportunity!

Jimmy Hoogewind said...

wow, Craig... i mean, you're thinking about things & doing things that, as Jesus followers, most of us, for whatever reason, will never enter into.

your stories of truly seeking out the homeless is encouraging me to ask the question - am i living my life in such a way that, unless the Holy Spirit shows up, i will fail? if i were honest, i'd say that i'm usually doing only as much as i think i'm capable.

Angela Baylis said...

Thank you for this post, Craig. I have to admit I get scared easily and it was nice to hear your thoughts. Hope you guys are doing well.
~Angie in Michigan

Anonymous said...

Hi Craig, I thank you for addressing this issue. I had many questions about this years ago, and still do, but the Church is generally silent on the topic. I am personally too vulnerable and empathetic to engage too fully in exploring this in depth. I had to back away from my questioning of what can be a frightening reality in my younger days, but maybe could handle it better now. My pastor then advised me that if we look for demons, we will find them under every teacup. I fear that is what would happen to me - and have seen it happen to others - giving demons way too much credit and not accounting for humanity's natural sinful bent, mental illnesses, disease processes and/or chemical imbalances. My pastor wisely counseled me to keep my focus on Jesus, which I have tried to do. I might add it is never a mistake to be open to showing compassion - Jesus wasn't frightened by demon-possessed people or condemning - He showed them tender-mercy and compassion. There are many things that can cause people to not be in their "right mind" - we may not be gifted or trained to know the cause, or be able to help or heal, but we can always extend compassion and reject the temptation to label, condemn, or reject out of fear. P.S. I have epilepsy, and some people assume all epileptics have a "demon problem" - and my dear mother-in-law had medication withdrawal-induced hallucinations and her husband jumped to the conclusion she was displaying demonic symptoms... sigh....

kathy said...

Thank you Craig for another honest, relevant discussion that has been on my heart as well. I have been asking God about the "power" part of His expression as we encounter people who need to know of His love. Jesus demonstrated His spiritual authority through physical means. I am not seeing that in my life but I am convinced it is the heart of God for his Body to walk in that expression. After reading the book The Soloist, I have more questions (emotional vs spiritual illness). I really want to hear more of what God teaches you on this subject. Thanks Craig, as always, walking the talk.